Skip to main content
In home care and your funding options (Home Care Packages)

Government Home Care Packages. How it works.

Written by William Garton
Updated over a week ago

Navigating the process of Government subsidies you are entitled to can be confusing. The first and most important step is understanding what you are entitled to and how much help you can receive. We are happy to help you each step of the way. 

What funding is available?

The Australian Government provides subsidies to people 65 years and over who have been assessed as needing help and support at home. There are two main types of support:

Home Care Packages (HCP) 

HCP is allocated to you based on your assessed level of need. There are 4 levels of packages – Level 1 is low care needs and Level 4 is high care needs. 

  • Level 1 approximately $8K pa

  • Level 2 approximately $14K pa

  • Level 3 approximately $32K pa

  • Level 4 approximately $49K pa

You can be asked to pay a basic fee of up to 17.5% of the pension by some providers, this fee is not charged by Five Good Friends. You may also need to pay an income tested fee which is determined by Centrelink and is regardless of the provider.

Commonwealth Home Support Packages (CHSP) 

CHSP is for entry level support and often only a few hours per fortnight. This can support someone waiting for a Home Care Package. This funding is allocated to Approved Providers. The person receiving these services makes a small contribution ($5 – $10 per hour) and the rest of the cost of the service is subsided by the government.

What are the steps I need to take to get subsidised?

The process of accessing funds can be a lengthy, potentially taking 4/6 months from initial contact with My Aged Care through to fund’s allocation. The sooner you get started the better. While you are waiting for your funding, if you have the means I would recommend you commence help privately, switching to your package once it’s been allocated.

Key steps to accessing government funding

1. Phone My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 and request an ACAT assessment. 

The first step is to get in touch with My Aged Care. This is the government service that manages assessment and allocation of aged care funds. You’ll need to ask for an ACAT assessment. You will book a convenient time for a free assessment by an Aged Care Assessment Team.

2. Receive an in-home assessment. ( 4/12 weeks)

A member of your local Aged Care Assessment Team, usually a nurse, social worker or other health care professional will make a time to come to your home (or the hospital, if you’re currently in hospital). They will talk to you about how well you’re managing in your day-to-day life.

3. The outcome of the assessment determines what funding and services you are eligible for. ( ~4 weeks)  

In about four weeks after the assessment, you’ll receive a letter that will tell you what you are eligible for. Unfortunately, even if you are eligible, this does not mean you can access the funds yet. The government limits the number of packages that can be allocated to control the funds that are released. If you are not happy with your assessment outcome, the letter will also explain how to ask for a review of the ACAT decision.

4. You are added to the national waiting list for a Home Care Package.

You will be added to the national waiting list. Depending on your needs and availability of packages, this can be a long hard wait. Depending on your needs and availability of packages, this can be a long hard wait. 

5. My Aged Care sends you a letter allocating you a Home Care Package.  

Once you have been allocated funds, you’ll receive a letter. It may suggest a care provider that you should contact to start receiving care. It’s important to know that you do not have to follow this. It’s your choice who you get to provider care in your home. 

6. You choose who you would like to provide your services in the home. You have 56 days to make this decision.  

We take care to match the right local Helpers, and we make sure it’s the same people week-on-week dedicated to you. The Five Good Friends account lets’ you can keep track of who’s in the home and when. If you would like to use Five Good Friends, please get in touch.  

7. Enter into a Home Care Agreement.  

Your Home Care Agreement is a legal agreement with your service provider that sets out the details of what your package will provide. Your service provider must work with you to design a care plan based on your needs and provide you with an individual budget that sets out the total funds available and how they will be used. 

8. Start receiving services.   

Finally, you can start receiving the Help you need. 

Five Good Friends differences

Five Good Friends is helping people remain in control of their lives, by ensuring they get the help and care they want and need in their homes. We focus on consistent quality helpers and provide real-time visibility of who’s in the home. Our key differences are:

  1. Making sure you are receiving the funding you are entitled to.

  2. A dedicated Care Manager and tailored Help plan.

  3. The same dedicated Helpers in your home who you can contact directly.

  4. One trusted relationship to grow with your needs over time.

  5. Simple technology to keep you informed, in touch and in control

Services Five Good Friends offer

Our services are tailored to what you want and need, it is really anything that is important and of value to you in your home. 

Services include:

  • Companionship 

  • Personal Care 

  • Domestic Assistance

  • Home Administration 

  • Community Access 

  • Yard Maintenance

Five Good Friends can offer up to 50% more care

We have several case studies from customers that have switched to Five Good Friends. Our lower administration and case management costs allow more funds to be available for help and care.

We understand these are very important decisions and there is nothing more personal than your care needs, and no space more personal than your home. It is important to us that you are well informed so you can make the best decision for you.

Did this answer your question?